Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Inspiration can Create Drive

I was feeling very daring and inspired after attending the Google Apps for Education Ontario Summit.  It is the middle of the semester and I turned myself into a first year teacher.   After finishing my masters project, I began to exam my teaching materials and realized that they needed updating.  As an educator, I find myself muttering this to myself constantly.    More frequently, during this process, I “get busy” and “distracted” and it’s a new year.   I sat at my desk and decided drastic measures were necessary.  I wheeled down one the large recycling bins and began to purge without back up materials.  It was exhilarating as I watch my bookshelf empty and the recycling bin fill.  The next day, a new feeling settled over me—panic.  My bookshelf was empty; my binders were empty.  I had stripped my resources to the bare bones.


After taking a deep breath, I realized that it wasn’t really that bad.  I had a fabulous opportunity to create new current and creative resources to better meet the needs of my students.  I do have to be honest that my workload has increased with the building of new teaching materials, but I find that they are better at engaging my students both in and out of the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment